Skip to main content

Escaping Mental Quicksand Part 1 - When it's You

Sometimes in skiing, life, business and bike racing things go wrong and you get sucked into mental quicksand. I'll let a great thinker explain it. (It's at 1:14)


In my first post I'll talk about ways to avoid getting yourself stuck or getting out. In the second, I'll talk about what to do when one of your student's is sucked in.

Full disclosure: Managing your emotions and stopping negative thoughts is not easy. It takes self-awareness and discipline. This is what I try to do, sometimes it takes a while to succeed.

Last weekend I was in a race and I really wanted to get on the podium for the first time. This race was one of my best chances to do it. I flew off the start line and into the first turn ahead of the field. Then I got a flat. That ended my race and I was not in a good mental place to race again a few hours later.

I have been in the trees and made a bad turn that turned into a series of bad turns and ended with me crying and having difficulty breathing.

When bad things happen, it's easy to get stuck. Sadly, you can't tell your emotions what to do. But you can try to manage them. The one area of life when I've always been able to avoid mental quicksand is when I'm leading a work project. Luckily, just as in ski teaching the power of transfer works here to.

Fix first
I always tell my teams that when the project isn't going well don't start pointing fingers or trying to figure out what when wrong. Solutions first.  My flat needed fixing, so my bike mechanic boyfriend was called into service. I am a good tire changer but having him do it give me time to sulk.

There are things you don't have, don't know and can't control. Dwelling on them is a waste of energy.  Put your energy towards things you do have, do know and can do. 


Set the clock on whine time
If you are upset, that's OK. Feel free to complain, yell, vent or swear but only for a set amount time and when it's over no more, even if you are still upset. Don't waste your energy talking about "the incident" and if some one asks tell them things happen and you are moving on. When people asked what happened to me in the first race, I told them that flats happen and I was focusing my attention on my next, harder race.

My parents told us to accept it, change it or quit but continuing to complain wasn't an option. (Of course getting Mom to unleash hell on someone is always the fastest solution to any problem)

Refocus
It is hard to let go of disappointment or frustration, but when you are near the top of the mountain and need to get down safely it's time to take a deep breath and refocus. When I'm rattled, I focus on keeping my hands where I can see them and  saying out loud (so I don't forget to breathe) "touch, touch touch." I may not be able to do much at first but I can do this one simple thing and more complicated things will follow.

If you feel your focus heading in a negative direction. Stop, take another breath and start again. It may take a few times. When I have had a bad run I always go back and try to tackle it again with a renewed focus. If it was particularly rough, do a few confidence building runs before going back.

Embrace it
When you are ready, look back not to dwell on the negative but to learn from your mistakes and not make them again. It may have been someone's fault or the examiner was unfair but if you don't ever own your mistakes you are doomed to always be at someone or something else's mercy.


And about that second race
I did get on the podium

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VAK - Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic

Visual learners These students learn best by watching and imitating others. The following guidelines are helpful when teaching visual learners. • Ski well-executed demonstrations that illustrate the point. Be careful not to exaggerate and destroy the picture of good skiing. • Target the students’ attention to a certain part of your body or to particular movements.

Learning Styles – Doers, Feelers, Thinkers, Watchers

A learning style is the way a person’s sensory, perceptual, memorial, decision-making, and feedback mechanisms operate. Or more simply, the preferred technique to approach learning. Some students have a dominant style and others are comfortable in more than one. PSIA references different theories on learning styles, this is a classic one. Doers Values active experimentation Pragmatic, practical, functional Good problem solvers, work well with others Constantly active, doesn’t like being idle and gets frustrated with too much talking Learn by experimenting, trial and error Instructor should provide experiences that will guide the child Experiential learning is an effective method for all students

Sarah’s Big Binder of Ski Teaching Geekery (and more!) (Updated/edited as of October, 2015)

UPDATE: October, 2015: This has been updated with new links, programs, and information. Please let us know if you have other references, we promise to update again before 2020! - Kerry (Diva2) Last year when I was preparing for my L3 Part 1 Skiing exam, the Dev Team Diva turned me on to these great task descriptions developed by Bob Barnes for the PSIA Rocky Mountain Division (the Pocket Summaries listed under "Skiing" below). (Kerry's edit: Those pocket summaries are not on the PSIA-RM site anymore. But I think what you're looking for is in the Skiing IDP linked below.) In my search for them online, I discovered lots of other valuable ski teaching resources tucked away on various PSIA divisional Web sites. So I printed them out, organized them into categories, and stuck them in a binder. The binder became an invaluable resource in discussions with my good friend and ski coach as I helped him to prepare for his Dev Team tryout and he coached me to success in my ski