Skip to main content

Assessment questions to ask a student


I did another Facebook post to ask fellow instructors what kind of questions they ask their students when planning a lesson.  My suggestions are mixed in with my colleagues.

Initially my goal is to greet potential students and ask questions about their skiing and sports experience to make sure they are in the right group before we set off. Then my questions focus more on their individual goals and learning style.  

This is way more questions than you would ever want to ask but I thought it would be a good way for people to start thinking about assessment since we've already had snow here in the East. Also,  your student's answers should be paired with solid movement analysis to create a lesson plan. I've been asked for a post on this and will try to putting something good together for you all.

Get to Know You
What do you do for fun?
How are you doing today?
Where are you from?

Goals
Is there anything you want to work on today?
What do you want to work on today?
What are you working on in your skiing?
Are there things to want to be able to do on skis that you can't?

Skiing Experience
Have you skied before?
What kind of trails do you ski?
Do you ski mostly like this (demo a wedge) or like this (demo parallel)?
What did you learn in your last lesson? How has that been working for you?
What have you been working on this season?
How is that going for you?
What is your favorite type of terrain (or favorite slope)?
What is your least favorite type of terrain (or slope)?
Have you skied this mountain before? Do you ENJOY all of the trails you've been on so far?

Sports Experience
What sports do you play or have you played?
Do you rollerblade or ice skate?
What do you do for excercise?

Learning Style 
What do you do for a living?
What are our favorite subjects in school?
Does it help if I demonstrate things? explain them? give direction?
Do you have any pet peeves about ski instructors?
What kind of feedback is most helpful for you?

Parental Questions
How old?
Any medical or allergy issues I should be aware of?

During the lesson
Am I being clear?
Did you see that?
Can you hear me?


Did I miss something? Put it in the comments. 

Comments

  1. You are a busy bee. Thanks for the informations, I will use it. Keep up the great work. Russell Fleming

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VAK - Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic

Visual learners These students learn best by watching and imitating others. The following guidelines are helpful when teaching visual learners. • Ski well-executed demonstrations that illustrate the point. Be careful not to exaggerate and destroy the picture of good skiing. • Target the students’ attention to a certain part of your body or to particular movements.

Learning Styles – Doers, Feelers, Thinkers, Watchers

A learning style is the way a person’s sensory, perceptual, memorial, decision-making, and feedback mechanisms operate. Or more simply, the preferred technique to approach learning. Some students have a dominant style and others are comfortable in more than one. PSIA references different theories on learning styles, this is a classic one. Doers Values active experimentation Pragmatic, practical, functional Good problem solvers, work well with others Constantly active, doesn’t like being idle and gets frustrated with too much talking Learn by experimenting, trial and error Instructor should provide experiences that will guide the child Experiential learning is an effective method for all students

Sarah’s Big Binder of Ski Teaching Geekery (and more!) (Updated/edited as of October, 2015)

UPDATE: October, 2015: This has been updated with new links, programs, and information. Please let us know if you have other references, we promise to update again before 2020! - Kerry (Diva2) Last year when I was preparing for my L3 Part 1 Skiing exam, the Dev Team Diva turned me on to these great task descriptions developed by Bob Barnes for the PSIA Rocky Mountain Division (the Pocket Summaries listed under "Skiing" below). (Kerry's edit: Those pocket summaries are not on the PSIA-RM site anymore. But I think what you're looking for is in the Skiing IDP linked below.) In my search for them online, I discovered lots of other valuable ski teaching resources tucked away on various PSIA divisional Web sites. So I printed them out, organized them into categories, and stuck them in a binder. The binder became an invaluable resource in discussions with my good friend and ski coach as I helped him to prepare for his Dev Team tryout and he coached me to success in my ski