Skip to main content

The Journey for Level 3, part 1

The Journey for Level 3, part 1

(Author’s note: this blog has been a living article over the course of the season...please be kind regarding tense and time as these ‘plans’ have changed to ‘achievements’ as the season has progressed.)

I came across a photo today on Facebook. 3 years ago (1/23/15) I received my shiny, silver, alpine, Level 2 pin at Whitetail Resort in Pennsylvania from PSIA. 

It was a fantastic day recognizing all I had learned and experienced the previous 5 years of teaching and skiing. It was also the capstone to a lot of time and energy I (and all the others who helped me in my journey) had devoted to this particular goal.  I look at my face in that picture and I know what went into the shining smile. After seeing it today I knew I had to write about this next experience as well. 

When I got my level 2, my first courses of action were taking my first level 3 prep clinic (where I felt completely out of my comfort zone because I was moved to the next pond) and teaching my obligatory beginner lesson (Liberty tradition). 

And then I didn’t do much. 
For the last 3 years.  
I was tired and a little burnt out. 

I didn’t clinic the way I had in the previous season (or three). I didn’t take off extra days at ‘real’ work to squeeze in extra runs and drill tasks.  I wasn’t constantly in exam prep mode. 

I taught, I skied, and I enjoyed the rest of life during ski season. I also continued to develop (both in my skiing and teaching) simply by paying attention and listening to the feedback I got from my skis and body (and the few clinics I attended). Finally this year as I approached ski season I felt ‘ready’. It was the confluence of resolved personal issues from the previous few years, solid footing in my job, and that itch. The itch that has become acute enough to make me excited to bite off all of the things I need to do for an attempt at my 3. 

Here’s the plan I’ve laid out along with some of the “Why’s”:

Attend ProJam 
I attended ProJam not only for the 5 days of skiing and apres shenanigans...I also attended to get focused coaching, dedicated practice time, and to get a clear picture of ‘where’ my skiing is. It helped set a baseline that allowed me to develop the remainder of my plan for the season and set the tone.  This will likely be a 2-3 year endeavor (minimally) and as such it helped me determine that one of my years of prep will likely require travel to bigger mountains with more varied terrain. As that’s not in the cards for me financially this year, it helped shape what this season will look like. 

Go for my CS2 certification
This is a cert I’ve intended to get the last 2-3 years. I work with kids.  A lot. I’ve spent a lot of my time in the last 2-3 years (whilst doing ‘nothing’) developing, fine tuning, and modifying progressions, games, and ski-periments to work with this group and I’m excited to attend this course. It also allows me to advance my upper level teaching and movement analysis AND requires me to brush up on some of the Bibles of ski teaching (all of which will help for my 3).  The exposure to other candidates will also give me more ‘tools’ for the ‘box’. 

Go for my AASI 1 certification
I’ve been teaching skiing for 9 years. During that time I’ve also gone snowboarding a bit. There have been a few seasons where I didn’t get to board at all but my AASI 1 is something I want. There are 3 main reasons I believe this fits with my “Go for 3” Plan:
  • Being a ‘beginner’ (maybe lower level is a better term) at a related snowsport brings a fresh perspective and allows me to see things differently. I’m able to problem solve more creatively with different tasks, drills, and ideas that I then translate to teaching skiers and they are fresh in my mind because I am currently experiencing the same challenges (how do I get more dynamic?, how can I more progressively engage and transition my edges?, etc)
  • Each time I am learning a new skill or reaching a new milestone on my board, I get excited. This is going to be important throughout my 3 prep. Anyone who has prepared for an exam knows there can come a point where there’s a ‘grind’ feeling. You’re constantly drilling, prepping, and on your game. Having a fun outlet on snow will help keep me sane. 
  • I get exposure to a whole new group of professionals. Professionals with skills, knowledge, and experience in teaching sliding. Professionals with games, drills, and classroom management skills. Professionals with different styles and methods. My exposure to all of these will only serve to make me a more well rounded teacher.
  • It just so happened that the exam I signed up for on the AASI side had a Freestyle component as well. I thought this would just continue to serve my interests as learning to manipulate your skis/board (in a variety of ways) only serves to make you a better skier/rider and teacher/coach. 


Ski as much as I can
This was advice given to me by my clinician at ProJam. It’s also feedback I gave to him: that I felt like I understood what he had given me but I needed mileage to apply and own it. 

This is a tough one as I have a busy life. I work a full time job and am a part-time trainer with 2 different gyms/companies in addition to teaching skiing. How am I going to accomplish it? By prioritizing it. Free skiing when I’m tired, organizing and taking additional days off of my other jobs to get extra days at the mountain, and making evening skiing and clinics a regular occurrence again. The season in south central PA is short and so are the runs and so I have no time to waste. I practice my skiing while teaching lessons and clinics. I practice movements and think through body mechanics while at the office, driving my car, and while at the bar. My plan is to devote most of next season to this one inclusive of travel to different mountains. 

******Fast forward 5 weeks******

It’s now early March. 

I successfully attained my CS2, my AASI 1, and my FS 1. 

I have just completed the paperwork to register for my Level 3 teaching exam. Allowing skiers to take the teaching portion of the exam prior to the skiing portion is a new, “test run” option thrown out in the fall edition of the SnowPro (that I didn’t get a chance to read until mid way through the season). As I passed my CS2, there is a 1 day L3 teaching event at Killington the end of March that would allow me to complete my teaching requirement before my skiing.  

I’m going to throw my hat in the ring. I’m not as prepared as I’d like to be...but I feel way more prepared than I did for my FS1. All of the events, training, classes I taught, and clinics I’ve taken this year have served to make me a better teacher, understand the concepts more, and put me in a place mentally where I’m excited for the event...whether I attain or maintain. 

In either case: it’s a trip to VT to extend my season, spend time on snow, see and hear from other Pro’s and get some awesome sliding in. 

I’ll spend the next few weeks fine tuning as much as I can and I’ll update you all once it’s over. All in all though: I can cal this “first” year of Level 3 prep, highly successful. (First is in quote because obviously EVERY year on snow and time off snow has served to better prep me for this first exam in this certification). 

For everyone whose helped me through this season and all of those past, THANK YOU. We rely on others to impart knowledge for our betterment. That’s what teaching is. I appreciate the time and efforts you’ve all put into me. 

For anyone considering an exam bid, who’s successfully or ‘unsuccessfully’ attempted one, or who has one upcoming: I’m here for you. I write this blog to show you the path to your certifications is different for every individual and for every exam. Take the time to get to know yourself and what you need. Seek out those who can help.  And don’t be afraid to look dumb. Anyone who’s met me at the mtn can attest I’m not afraid of that. 

Make a plan (or don’t), revel in your experience, share with others, and remember the joy this brings you when things seem tough. 


Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VAK - Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic

Visual learners These students learn best by watching and imitating others. The following guidelines are helpful when teaching visual learners. • Ski well-executed demonstrations that illustrate the point. Be careful not to exaggerate and destroy the picture of good skiing. • Target the students’ attention to a certain part of your body or to particular movements.

Learning Styles – Doers, Feelers, Thinkers, Watchers

A learning style is the way a person’s sensory, perceptual, memorial, decision-making, and feedback mechanisms operate. Or more simply, the preferred technique to approach learning. Some students have a dominant style and others are comfortable in more than one. PSIA references different theories on learning styles, this is a classic one. Doers Values active experimentation Pragmatic, practical, functional Good problem solvers, work well with others Constantly active, doesn’t like being idle and gets frustrated with too much talking Learn by experimenting, trial and error Instructor should provide experiences that will guide the child Experiential learning is an effective method for all students

Sarah’s Big Binder of Ski Teaching Geekery (and more!) (Updated/edited as of October, 2015)

UPDATE: October, 2015: This has been updated with new links, programs, and information. Please let us know if you have other references, we promise to update again before 2020! - Kerry (Diva2) Last year when I was preparing for my L3 Part 1 Skiing exam, the Dev Team Diva turned me on to these great task descriptions developed by Bob Barnes for the PSIA Rocky Mountain Division (the Pocket Summaries listed under "Skiing" below). (Kerry's edit: Those pocket summaries are not on the PSIA-RM site anymore. But I think what you're looking for is in the Skiing IDP linked below.) In my search for them online, I discovered lots of other valuable ski teaching resources tucked away on various PSIA divisional Web sites. So I printed them out, organized them into categories, and stuck them in a binder. The binder became an invaluable resource in discussions with my good friend and ski coach as I helped him to prepare for his Dev Team tryout and he coached me to success in my ski