Skip to main content

Teaching Test Score Cards

My apologies to the non-eastern instructors out there.

I dug these sample score cards up on the PSIA-E Web site. The score cards give you a little checklist to use in your exam prep.  There are four points available in each module.  Currently, you need 10 points out of 16 to pass.  It all seems really fair and straight forward to me. 
 
Creative Teaching
Power of Transfer - Teaching Styles and Learning Modes
Technical Validity of the Teaching Concept
Group Handling Skills (Able to make age specific modifications)
Communication Skills - Group Involvement, Personal Attention/Skiing Skills - Demos

Movement Assessment
Observations and Descriptions
Potential Solutions/ Prescriptions
Cause & Effect Relationship
Effective Feedback

Teaching Movement and Skills
ATS Understanding
Communication Skills/Terminology/Skiing Skills-Demos
Use of Teaching Styles and Learning Modes
Does the leader and the group see it, do it and understand it?

Teaching Children and Youth
Class Management
Understanding of children's "ages and stages"
Use of activities and games
Student/Parent/ Instructor Partnership

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Styles – Doers, Feelers, Thinkers, Watchers

A learning style is the way a person’s sensory, perceptual, memorial, decision-making, and feedback mechanisms operate. Or more simply, the preferred technique to approach learning. Some students have a dominant style and others are comfortable in more than one. PSIA references different theories on learning styles, this is a classic one. Doers Values active experimentation Pragmatic, practical, functional Good problem solvers, work well with others Constantly active, doesn’t like being idle and gets frustrated with too much talking Learn by experimenting, trial and error Instructor should provide experiences that will guide the child Experiential learning is an effective method for all students

Ages 7 to 12 – CAP

Cognitive I do best with one direction at a time I need to know “why” I’m asked to do certain things I will ask questions I can learn in a variety of ways I like process more than the goals I like to be challenged and successful I can describe and explain I will remember the highlights of my day Characteristics ---  Instructor Responses Can separate reality from imagination > Avoid the use of fantasy; it makes them feel that you are treating them like babies Can understand things they can’t see --- Use hypotheticals (what ifs) to introduce cause and effect and explain why something worked or didn’t work May overestimate their abilities (I can do anything!) --- Keep them reined in to avoid unsafe situations or setbacks Affective I want ownership in my day and can work independently I compare my achievements to those of my peers I want to have fun and like to play games I like to be responsible for my learning I like to know when I’ve...

More ideas for kids

Harry Potter Turns (edging, directional movement) Most children, and a lot of adults, have seen the Harry Potter movies, when Harry plays Quidditch on his broom stick. Try this use your poles as your broomstick. When you want to turn, turn your broomstick in that direction and push against your leg. This will flatten your inside ski and allow you to steer it. Game Time – Most turns Wins Throwing curses – as you move to turn around a corner flick your pole out and throw a curse. It can be “jelly legs”, “eat slugs”, “experiallmus” Flat Tire Turns (Pressure) On flat terrain, show how you inflate (extend) your tires and then how you get a flat (flex). Use sound effects with children Have students inflate their tires and turn them until their toes point down hill. Then get a flat when they turn down the hill Expand on the movement, by having students move across their skis and then steer their skis to match as they get a flat Skate to Shape (Edging/Directional Movement) On...