Skip to main content

The Dos and Don’ts for Exams – The Candidate

Here are my dos and don'ts.  Add yours in the comments.

Do accept responsibility for your preparation
I was told I was a level 3 skier, but only on level 2 terrain, so I spent a lot of time on the road training at mountains up north. A friend of mine was not a book learner, so he recruited friends to repeatedly quiz him and talk through all the material in the books. It’s no one’s job but your own to get the training you need. Don’t wait for it to be given to you.

Do your homework
You should have a good understanding of all the material in Core Concepts for Snowsports Instructors, Alpine Technical Manual: Skiing and Teaching Skills and the Children’s Instruction Manual.

Do have a plan
Here is mine for this season.

Do choose your coaches
Everyone and their brother will try to give you feedback and advice on your training. I only listen to a few select people (the divas are included). I nod and smile when anyone else offers feedback. Part of your learning process is figuring out who to listen to and why they are valuable resources. The exception is teaching tricks and drills, I take them from everyone.

Do support others
I’ve been incredibly lucky to train and take exams with some great people. It’s your job to be a cheerleader for others, they’re going to have plenty of people coaching them. Avoid being “that guy/girl” who monopolizes attention or brings bad energy into group activities.

Do avoid mental quicksand
When I was training for my first marathon I learned to let go of my bad workouts, cherish the good ones and focus the majority of workouts left. If you have a bad run, just let it go.

Do take breaks from training
Even the most coachable exam candidate will get cranky if they get too much coaching or feedback. Take breaks where you can ski and teach without the pressure of performing.

Do simulate exam conditions and tasks
You can find level 2 skiing and teaching tasks and level 3 skiing and teaching tasks on this blog. Find a coach to give you a task and debrief after you’ve done it. Get your coach to do their best examiner impression.

Do answer Ned’s questions
My friend Ned has three questions he asks people considering taking an exam:
1. Will you blame PSIA and the examiners if you fail?
2. Will you blame your mountain’s trainers and training program?
3. Can you afford it?
If the answers are no, no, and yes then Neddy says you should go for it.

Do recruit an exam chaperone
D2 is a great chaperone and she’s written the definitive guide on how to do it.

Do pay it forward
Once you’ve got your new shiny pin, it’s time to help out the others that supported you. Other instructors have worked so that I can train. When I'm a level 3, it's time for me to work so they can train and pass on all that I've learned.

Don’t obsess
No one wants to be around someone who is all exam, all the time. Apre ski some of us would like to gossip and decompress, constant exam talk doesn't help this. Also remember that there are others prepping for an exam as well. Don't be the candidate who is bitter that another group got to train with an examiner that morning-- and 'my exam is this week.' 

Don’t try to do too much at once
Having five focuses when you’re skiing will make your skiing suck. Trying to cover every aspect of teaching in your introduction will make your teaching suck. One thing at a time.

Comments

  1. The skiing and teaching tasks linked above are specific to the PSIA Eastern Division formats for both the Level II and Level III exams - we know there are people reading this from outside of our division - so what do your exam guides say and what have you seen or done in your exams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess for posting my PSIA exam questions to candidates. Thanks for your blog spot. Just shared it with Thunder Ridge Level II boys and girls as well as Windham candidates. Sweet.

    Good luck in your III teaching exam. Go girl Go!
    Say hi to all the Liberty gang.

    Ned

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your blog this morning and have really enjoyed all of the useful information! Thank you for this invaluable resource. If only now I can find a way to soak it all in quickly...maybe osmosis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the "don't obsess" and "take breaks" spots! Yesterday, my activity of choice to decompress and blow off some mental stress was to race. Went totally balls out in a soft and mushy GS course and completely blew up in my first run! Ooops! Got back in there, and took first with my second run. I needed that. What I did NOT need, though, was to be told that my decision to race meant that my priorities were out of order. Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is to just put your mind somewhere else and find a physical outlet. Running gates is always a good choice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

VAK - Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic

Visual learners These students learn best by watching and imitating others. The following guidelines are helpful when teaching visual learners. • Ski well-executed demonstrations that illustrate the point. Be careful not to exaggerate and destroy the picture of good skiing. • Target the students’ attention to a certain part of your body or to particular movements.

Learning Styles – Doers, Feelers, Thinkers, Watchers

A learning style is the way a person’s sensory, perceptual, memorial, decision-making, and feedback mechanisms operate. Or more simply, the preferred technique to approach learning. Some students have a dominant style and others are comfortable in more than one. PSIA references different theories on learning styles, this is a classic one. Doers Values active experimentation Pragmatic, practical, functional Good problem solvers, work well with others Constantly active, doesn’t like being idle and gets frustrated with too much talking Learn by experimenting, trial and error Instructor should provide experiences that will guide the child Experiential learning is an effective method for all students

Sarah’s Big Binder of Ski Teaching Geekery (and more!) (Updated/edited as of October, 2015)

UPDATE: October, 2015: This has been updated with new links, programs, and information. Please let us know if you have other references, we promise to update again before 2020! - Kerry (Diva2) Last year when I was preparing for my L3 Part 1 Skiing exam, the Dev Team Diva turned me on to these great task descriptions developed by Bob Barnes for the PSIA Rocky Mountain Division (the Pocket Summaries listed under "Skiing" below). (Kerry's edit: Those pocket summaries are not on the PSIA-RM site anymore. But I think what you're looking for is in the Skiing IDP linked below.) In my search for them online, I discovered lots of other valuable ski teaching resources tucked away on various PSIA divisional Web sites. So I printed them out, organized them into categories, and stuck them in a binder. The binder became an invaluable resource in discussions with my good friend and ski coach as I helped him to prepare for his Dev Team tryout and he coached me to success in my ski