Skip to main content

Teaching test plan

When you tell my technical director you want to go for certification, the first thing he always says is “What’s your plan?” I’m taking a teaching exam this season and this is my plan.

Refresh
I’m hitting the books, web and my notes to make sure my foundation of teaching and tech knowledge is solid. The key books to study are the Core Concepts for Snowsports Instructors, Alpine Technical Manual: Skiing and Teaching Skills and the Children’s Instruction Manual. My posts give you idea of the breadth and depth of what I’m studying.

I can easily fit in time to work through the book learning a chunk at a time, once the season starts I won’t be able to.


Strategize
Next I want to start working through lesson plans. When I’m working with a student, I have a limited amount of time to come up with a plan. I want to spend some time working through different scenarios and coming up with lesson plans. I want to ponder teaching styles, learning styles, drills for skills, common problems and ways to teach tactics.

Many times I’ve had a plan and tossed it the minute I knew it didn’t fit the student, terrain or conditions. But I think working through scenarios will get the problem-solving part of my brain kick started.

Teach and refine
My goal is to be prepared when I meet my first student of the season. In my case, this is will be people who want become of instructors or instructors needing a refresher.

All season long I want to teach good lessons then analyze and refine what I’m doing to make them better. I’ll get feedback from the diva crew and other key people. I’ll watch other instructors and incorporate material I think will work for me.

Movement analysis is an area I need to spend some time on. I’m going to a PSIA clinic and work with the rest of the diva crew.

Most of my time in the children’s learning center last season was with first-timers. So I definitely need to get out with more advanced groups this season.

Package
As the exam gets closer, I need to start thinking about how to package my teaching in a way that shows the examiner what they’re looking for. You can only package what’s there, hopefully everything will be working.

The Diva has a great post on what to do in the exam.

This is my plan. It’s built on my nerdiness, learning style, strengths and weaknesses. Your plan will be different and your plan will likely be way less defined. But having a plan really helps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VAK - Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic

Visual learners These students learn best by watching and imitating others. The following guidelines are helpful when teaching visual learners. • Ski well-executed demonstrations that illustrate the point. Be careful not to exaggerate and destroy the picture of good skiing. • Target the students’ attention to a certain part of your body or to particular movements.

Learning Styles – Doers, Feelers, Thinkers, Watchers

A learning style is the way a person’s sensory, perceptual, memorial, decision-making, and feedback mechanisms operate. Or more simply, the preferred technique to approach learning. Some students have a dominant style and others are comfortable in more than one. PSIA references different theories on learning styles, this is a classic one. Doers Values active experimentation Pragmatic, practical, functional Good problem solvers, work well with others Constantly active, doesn’t like being idle and gets frustrated with too much talking Learn by experimenting, trial and error Instructor should provide experiences that will guide the child Experiential learning is an effective method for all students

Sarah’s Big Binder of Ski Teaching Geekery (and more!) (Updated/edited as of October, 2015)

UPDATE: October, 2015: This has been updated with new links, programs, and information. Please let us know if you have other references, we promise to update again before 2020! - Kerry (Diva2) Last year when I was preparing for my L3 Part 1 Skiing exam, the Dev Team Diva turned me on to these great task descriptions developed by Bob Barnes for the PSIA Rocky Mountain Division (the Pocket Summaries listed under "Skiing" below). (Kerry's edit: Those pocket summaries are not on the PSIA-RM site anymore. But I think what you're looking for is in the Skiing IDP linked below.) In my search for them online, I discovered lots of other valuable ski teaching resources tucked away on various PSIA divisional Web sites. So I printed them out, organized them into categories, and stuck them in a binder. The binder became an invaluable resource in discussions with my good friend and ski coach as I helped him to prepare for his Dev Team tryout and he coached me to success in my ski