Skip to main content

A noob's guide to clinics and training

This is the second post in a series for new instructors. The first is A noob’s guide to ski teaching

In the first post we talked about the importance of training to improve your skiing and teaching. In this post we’ll talk about the dos and don’ts of training clinics.

Do be ready to go on time, with your phone off, and in uniform (if uniform is required).

Do have an open mind
Ski equipment and technique is ever-changing. If you want to be a successful new instructor you need to let go of old ideas and old skiing.

Do ask for feedback
Aside from talking too much, the biggest criticism I hear about clinics is that the trainer didn’t give someone personal feedback. I want everyone to walk away with some personal feedback but in a large group I could miss someone. I would never get mad if someone asked me what I saw in their skiing or teaching. But it’s helpful to ask during the clinic so I can take another look or immediately afterwards before I start to forget.

Do understand why
The best instructors analyze the group’s skiing and focus the lesson on making one change that will help. Ask the trainer what they saw in the group skiing, why they wanted to improve it and how they’re going to do it. This will help develop your movement analysis and problem solving skills.

Don’t be “that guy/gal”
A lot of times when I’m in PSIA training there is one person (usually male, sorry) who scares the crap out of the group. You’re afraid he will take you out on the hill so you keep him in front of you. If others in your group always say “after you,” they aren’t being polite.

Don't be a diver
D2 came up with "diver" to describe someone who jumps on the trainer's tails as soon as he/she skis off. I really benefit by following other skiers, but I'm not alone and I need to share the wealth. Some people try to monopolize the time and attention of the trainer and that isn't the kind of collegial behavior we're looking for. The diver is closely related to 'that guy/gal' but slightly different because the diver doesn't give anyone else a choice. But simply put, don't be either of these people, or we'll talk about you behind your back.

Don't give feedback
This is a common gripe. Most people only want feedback from the person teaching the clinic. At best, you could distract someone and at worst you will annoy them greatly. I abide by a “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy when I’m not teaching. If we are out having fun or in training, I won’t give any feedback without a expressed invitation.

Don't argue with the trainer in front of the group
Once I spent 15 minutes on the side of the hill while the trainer and two other instructors had a blowup over the technical validity of the lesson. Eventually the group had enough of the unprofessional louts and skied off.

Ask questions to make sure you didn’t misunderstand or mishear what the trainer is teaching. If you don’t like what the trainer is doing pull them aside and discuss it privately. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, let the technical director handle it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VAK - Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic

Visual learners These students learn best by watching and imitating others. The following guidelines are helpful when teaching visual learners. • Ski well-executed demonstrations that illustrate the point. Be careful not to exaggerate and destroy the picture of good skiing. • Target the students’ attention to a certain part of your body or to particular movements.

Learning Styles – Doers, Feelers, Thinkers, Watchers

A learning style is the way a person’s sensory, perceptual, memorial, decision-making, and feedback mechanisms operate. Or more simply, the preferred technique to approach learning. Some students have a dominant style and others are comfortable in more than one. PSIA references different theories on learning styles, this is a classic one. Doers Values active experimentation Pragmatic, practical, functional Good problem solvers, work well with others Constantly active, doesn’t like being idle and gets frustrated with too much talking Learn by experimenting, trial and error Instructor should provide experiences that will guide the child Experiential learning is an effective method for all students

Sarah’s Big Binder of Ski Teaching Geekery (and more!) (Updated/edited as of October, 2015)

UPDATE: October, 2015: This has been updated with new links, programs, and information. Please let us know if you have other references, we promise to update again before 2020! - Kerry (Diva2) Last year when I was preparing for my L3 Part 1 Skiing exam, the Dev Team Diva turned me on to these great task descriptions developed by Bob Barnes for the PSIA Rocky Mountain Division (the Pocket Summaries listed under "Skiing" below). (Kerry's edit: Those pocket summaries are not on the PSIA-RM site anymore. But I think what you're looking for is in the Skiing IDP linked below.) In my search for them online, I discovered lots of other valuable ski teaching resources tucked away on various PSIA divisional Web sites. So I printed them out, organized them into categories, and stuck them in a binder. The binder became an invaluable resource in discussions with my good friend and ski coach as I helped him to prepare for his Dev Team tryout and he coached me to success in my ski