Skip to main content

Ages 7 to 12 – CAP

Cognitive
I do best with one direction at a time
I need to know “why” I’m asked to do certain things
I will ask questions
I can learn in a variety of ways
I like process more than the goals
I like to be challenged and successful
I can describe and explain
I will remember the highlights of my day

Characteristics ---  Instructor Responses
Can separate reality from imagination > Avoid the use of fantasy; it makes them feel that you are treating them like babies
Can understand things they can’t see --- Use hypotheticals (what ifs) to introduce cause and effect and explain why something worked or didn’t work
May overestimate their abilities (I can do anything!) --- Keep them reined in to avoid unsafe situations or setbacks

Affective
I want ownership in my day and can work independently
I compare my achievements to those of my peers
I want to have fun and like to play games
I like to be responsible for my learning
I like to know when I’ve done something well

Characteristics --- Instructor Responses
Can consider the feelings of others in their own actions --- Introduce group tasks, but with participation by all the students
Becoming competitive; self-worth is tied to accomplishment --- Emphasize competition with themselves, not each other
Willing to accept responsibility --- Let them help formulate rules and participate in decision making
Like knock-knock jokes and toilet humor --- Keep it appropriate
Have “clever as a fox” morals --- Don’t let them bend the rules

Physical
I like to learn with a variety of activities
I can practice independently with simple direction
I learn new movements through repetition and feedback
I can move my body parts independently of one another

Characteristics --- Instructor Responses
Beginning to develop fine muscle coordination ---Teach and expect more in terms of refined movements

Children’s Instructional Manual, Children’s Instruction Handbook

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

VAK - Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic

Visual learners These students learn best by watching and imitating others. The following guidelines are helpful when teaching visual learners. • Ski well-executed demonstrations that illustrate the point. Be careful not to exaggerate and destroy the picture of good skiing. • Target the students’ attention to a certain part of your body or to particular movements.

Learning Styles – Doers, Feelers, Thinkers, Watchers

A learning style is the way a person’s sensory, perceptual, memorial, decision-making, and feedback mechanisms operate. Or more simply, the preferred technique to approach learning. Some students have a dominant style and others are comfortable in more than one. PSIA references different theories on learning styles, this is a classic one. Doers Values active experimentation Pragmatic, practical, functional Good problem solvers, work well with others Constantly active, doesn’t like being idle and gets frustrated with too much talking Learn by experimenting, trial and error Instructor should provide experiences that will guide the child Experiential learning is an effective method for all students

Sarah’s Big Binder of Ski Teaching Geekery (and more!) (Updated/edited as of October, 2015)

UPDATE: October, 2015: This has been updated with new links, programs, and information. Please let us know if you have other references, we promise to update again before 2020! - Kerry (Diva2) Last year when I was preparing for my L3 Part 1 Skiing exam, the Dev Team Diva turned me on to these great task descriptions developed by Bob Barnes for the PSIA Rocky Mountain Division (the Pocket Summaries listed under "Skiing" below). (Kerry's edit: Those pocket summaries are not on the PSIA-RM site anymore. But I think what you're looking for is in the Skiing IDP linked below.) In my search for them online, I discovered lots of other valuable ski teaching resources tucked away on various PSIA divisional Web sites. So I printed them out, organized them into categories, and stuck them in a binder. The binder became an invaluable resource in discussions with my good friend and ski coach as I helped him to prepare for his Dev Team tryout and he coached me to success in my ski